There are approximately 56,000,000 Americans with disabilities. Only about 18% earn a college degree. The number of full-time gainfully employed disabled is only a little more than 20%. Incight empowers people with disabilities to become contributing members of society. We accomplish this through several dynamic programs focused in the areas of: Education, Employment, Networking and Independence.
To be considered for an INCIGHT / Pathways to Success Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- You or your parents must have been permanent residents of the Coachella Valley over the past 3 years.
- You must be a California high school graduate.
- You must apply for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ . If you are ineligible to complete the FAFSA, you must submit your most recent tax return or W2 to provide equivalent acceptable income verification.
- You must demonstrate financial need (as identified by FAFSA or as defined by the academic institution).
- You must be applying as an undergraduate at an accredited college, university, or academic institution in the U.S.
- You must have a high school GPA of 2.0 or above, and meet college/university academic requirements for admissions and continued enrollment.
- You must be enrolled full-time and maintain full-time enrollment status (as defined by academic institutions).
- You will be given preference if you have had previous involvement in college preparation program(s), demonstrate community leadership, have been involved in a career pathway program(s), and are first generation or first in family to attend college.
- You must submit two letters of recommendation from a Professor, Instructor, Counselor, or Community Leader.
- You will be expected to sign a contract with sign Pathways to Success involving you in scheduled events, mentoring, workshops, and web based interactions.
In addition to the Pathways to Success eligibility requirements – INCIGHT requires:
- Documentation of disability:
- The disability can be physical, learning, cognitive, etc. Any disability covered under ADA law is eligible for the Incight scholarship.
- The documentation can be an IEP, 504, Social Security Benefits letter, Physicians letter classifying the condition as a disability, or a proof of registration at the schools office for students with disabilities
- Completion of all three Incight short essays listed below (250 words or less). This is in addition to any essay requirements required by Pathways to Success. (These essays must be mailed to Incight by March 17).
- “Only 16% of people with a disability succeed in earning a college degree and only one in five people with a disability achieve full time gainful employment.” Incight believes this is due to HandiCRAP. If you are awarded this scholarship, how can you help change HandiCRAP and these statistics?
- Give examples of barriers you have experienced as a result of your disability. Describe what you have done or will do to overcome them.
- Use your creativity to tell us about who you are – draw a picture, take a photograph, make something, write a poem; it’s up to you.
- Full time Fall enrollment in a community college, state college or university.
NOTE: DOCUMENTATION OF DISABILITY AND INCIGHT ESSAYS ARE SEPARATE FROM THE PATHWAYS APPLICATION AND MUST BE EMAILED TO INCIGHT BY MARCH 17, TO email@example.com.